Schizophrenia affects ~ 1% of Americans. Diagnosis of schizophrenia and other neuropsychiatric disorders currently relies on behavorial symptoms, such as massive disruption of thinking, mood and overall behavior.
Researchers at the University of Michigan have identified markers for neuropsychiatric disorders. In particular, they have studied genetically susceptible regions for neuropsychiatric disorders. This invention describes mutations that are associated with these disorders as well as their associated markers.
Applications and Advantages
- Development of diagnostic and therapeutic-nl-tools for neuropsychotic disorders.
- Assessment of therapeutic efficiency on-nl-patients.
- Marker-based diagnosis of disorders in-nl-addition to traditional symptoms-based-nl-technique.
- Marker-based evaluation of the effect of-nl-therapy on patient’s conditions.
- Non-invasive - test can be carried out-nl-on blood samples instead of brain tissues.