Technology-driven and mobile-based education is becoming a common teaching method in formal and informal educational environments. Students today are very comfortable with using mobile technologies and educators and families are beginning to use mobile applications and curriculum packages to facilitate learning through the use of games and interactive education tools. The market for game-based learning applications is expected to grow from $1.5B in 2012 to $2.3B in 2017.
Mobile application improving science literacy and teaching about biodiversity
BioKIDS is a mobile application which teaches learners about local biodiversity and increases scientific literacy. Users log field observations about local flora and fauna and then analyze the collected data to interpret biodiversity. The application can be used in schools or by families at home or at informal science education institutes. BioKIDS helps students to create explanations which are reasoned and accurate and the curriculum has been aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards.
- K-12 education
- Informal education settings
- Nature or zoo kids programs
- Home use
- Enhances understanding of biodiversity and ecology in grades 4-6
- Uses innovative structures observation tools to collect data on local biodiversity
- Employs well-tested learning progressions to build scientific literacy
- Inquiry-driven curriculum aligned with NGSS standards and well-tested in classrooms