Over 79 million individuals in the US are candidates for a sodium restrictive diet. These diets are commonly prescribed to help patients lower their health risks associated with heart disease and stroke. The proliferation of smartphones in the population allows for patients to have more control and make informed choices while living within the requirements of their diet. This technology utilizes geographic based geofencing to empower patients and encourage them to make healthier choices when purchasing food. The health and fitness mobile app market is expected to make US$400 million in 2016 and has shown steady, rapid growth over the last 4 years.
Increased Dietary Awareness Using Geofencing
Mobile smartphones have seen wide spread adoption, allowing people to be more connected than ever. Utilizing the build in GPS and positioning services of these phones, app developers are able to determine when one enters or leaves a predefined area. These areas can be tied to physical store locations and serve as a virtual fence. The application utilizes these marked regions to monitor when an individual enters a grocery store, restaurant, or fast food location and makes the user aware of their sodium restrictions. By increasing patient awareness of their dietary restrictions with just-in-time push notifications to their phone patient compliance should be increased. This will result in improvements in patient health and doctor-patient relations.
- Restrictive Diet Mobile App
- Personal Dietary Sodium Calculator with location based services.
- Nutrition tracker with greater accountability.
- Increased patient compliance though just-in-time push notifications leading to better overall health and doctor-patient relations
- Geo-based notifications allow for minimally invasive notifications
- First nutrition app to utilize geofencing abilities